The Washington Council on International Trade (WCIT) is seeking a part-time (.5 FTE) Outreach & Programs Director. This person will report to the President and lead the organization’s community outreach, membership sales & retention and events planning & production.
About the Outreach & Programs Director position
The Washington Council on International Trade is seeking an Outreach & Programs Director to support the organization’s mission and programs. The Outreach & Programs Director will serve as a public face for the organization, attending relevant community events, meetings and hearings on behalf of the organization and its members. The Director will be responsible for leading efforts to increase WCIT membership through outreach to employers throughout Washington state that are positively impacted by WCIT’s trade policy advocacy efforts. In addition, this person will be the lead for the organization’s public events – developing content, recruiting speakers, managing logistics and coordinating with the WCIT Policy & Communications Director on marketing. Finally, this person may also assist on policy research and analysis related to international trade issues affecting Washington’s economy, supporting the WCIT Policy & Communications Director’s work to develop effective materials and content for policy advocacy.
Specific duties include:
• Build relationships with business, government and community stakeholders to increase the impact and awareness of WCIT’s programs and activities.
• Plan and produce events focused on WCIT policy priorities, including developing content, recruiting speakers, managing logistics and coordinating with the WCIT Policy & Communications Director on marketing
• Sell Washington Council on International Trade membership to employers across the state that are positively impacted by trade policy advocacy efforts
• Help retain current WCIT members through a variety of outreach, events and communications efforts.
• Support the Policy & Communications Director’s efforts to research and analyze the potential impact of trade policies and investments at the local, state and federal level on Washington employer’s ability to successfully compete in the global economy.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
An ideal candidate will have the following skills and background:
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in business, public policy, international relations, economics or political science
• At least two years of experience in event planning and production
• At least two years of experience in sales, ideally for a membership organization, or in fundraising for a nonprofit organization
• Familiarity with public policy advocacy at the state or federal level
• Familiarity with international trade policy
• Relationships with key Washington business, government and community leaders
• Strong written and oral communications skills
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks
• Ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative data
This is a paid, 20 hours per week position with pro-rated benefits; because WCIT is a program of the Chamber, the Director will be an employee of the Chamber. Salary: $20,000 – $25,000 per year, depending on experience, plus commission based on a percentage of membership sales.
To apply for this position, email a 1) cover letter, 2) resume and 3) a non-returnable writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 19, 2013. Attachments must be a PDF or Word document; writing samples can be submitted as URLs.
WCIT Outreach & Programs Director
c/o People Programs
Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce
1301 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2500
Seattle, WA 98101-2611
The Chamber provides a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to:
• medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance
• paid vacation and sick leave; holidays
• employer-matched 401(k) plan
• bus pass subsidy