Thanks to all of you who made 2012 such an incredibly successful year for the Washington Council on International Trade: our members, our Board, our event attendees, our partner organizations, and all of you who signed letters and contacted our Congressional delegation to express your support for trade policies that increase Washington’s international competitiveness.
It’s hard to believe how much we’ve been able to accomplish together this past year. From policy work to events, WCIT has been able to advocate effectively on behalf of Washington businesses to help increase their international competitiveness. Equally as important, we’ve been able to grow both understanding of the impact of trade on Washington’s economy as well as awareness of the importance of ensuring that trade policy facilitates increased success in the global marketplace.
Below is a summary of WCIT’s major accomplishments throughout the past year:
- 2012 DC Fly-In – May 8& 9, 2012
- WCIT-PMSA Gubernatorial Candidate Forum on Trade & Maritime – June 6, 2012
- WCIT Summer Luncheon – July 19, 2012
- Trends in Ocean Shipping Forum – October 23, 2012
- 2012 Washington Trade Conference – November 12, 2012
- Congressional passage of Ex-Im Bank Re-authorization, a National Freight Strategy (as part of MAP-21), and legislation authorizing permanent normal trade relations with Russia.
- WCIT sent letters signed by businesses and organizations from across the state to the Washington Congressional delegation in support of a National Freight Strategy (February 15), Ex-Im Bank Re-authorization (March 23) and Russia PNTR (May 25).
- Release of the International Competitiveness Strategy for Washington State.
- Creation of Congressional District Trade Profiles for each House member.
- WCIT was quoted in articles in the Puget Sound Business Journal (January 13, June 1, August 10, November 16, November 30), Transportation Issues Daily (March 5), the Seattle Times (March 8, April 17, July 14, September 18), the Bellingham Herald (April 15), the Olympian (April 23) and the Tri-Cities Herald (September 19).
- WCIT published columns in Seattle Business Magazine (January 3) and Crosscut.com (January 10, February 13, April 6, July 6).
- WCIT published op-eds in the Spokane Spokesman-Review (August 11) and the Everett Herald (July 28).
- WCIT was interviewed on KING 5 TV (March 10), Fox News TV (October 19) and KPLU radio (November 15).
- In addition, coverage of the International Competitiveness Strategy appeared in KPLU, the Tacoma News Tribune, KVEW TV, Q13 Fox TV, the Bellingham Herald, the Olympian, the Tri-City Herald, and Context China.
We look forward to working with all of you to make 2013 an even more successful one.